There’s no need to panic – but you will have to call out a plumber. We are constantly hearing about rip-off, incompetent plumbers who are only out to make a swift buck. However, you need not get caught out by a dodgy tradesman.
To ensure you call out a reputable, honest plumber, follow Drain Doctor Plumbing’s ten golden rules for finding the right person:
1. Does the plumber offer free call outs? You should not have to pay to be told what is wrong – you should only pay for the work done.
2. You need a plumber with a fixed price structure. If a pipe bursts on a Bank Holiday – you don’t want to pay astronomical fees to have the problem fixed. Ask to see their written pricing policy.
3. Ask the plumber to give a diagnosis of the work needed and provide a written estimate up front. The ones who don’t probably have something to hide such as VAT costs or other ‘extras’.
4. Make sure you receive a company-headed receipt and guarantee once the work is complete.
5. Is the plumber environmentally friendly? Find out if he or she used mechanical methods to clear blockages, rather than using expensive, unnecessary and inefficient chemicals.
6. A plumber may have to use a high pressure water jetting machine to clear certain problems. This can be expensive, so if it is needed make sure the cost of it is included in the initial estimate.
7. If they don’t offer, ask for a free camera survey of the drain once it has been cleared. This will help ensure the blockage has been fully cleared and may even highlight other issues.
8. Find a plumber that will allow you to pay for a job when it is complete and you are fully satisfied with the work.
9. In the unlikely event that something goes wrong after a plumber has made repairs, will they make a return visit free of charge to take another look at the problem?
10. It is advisable for work to be carried out by a reputable, qualified and well established firm, such as Drain Doctor Plumbing. Call 24 hours a day on 0800 70 71 72.