A story in a recent edition of Pham News has highlighted the importance of safety at work. In short, a plumbing technician from a maintenance firm was using an unblocker with a high concentration of sulphuric acid to unblock a sink. The chemical erupted, raining down on the operative and eating through the paper overalls that he was wearing, causing him serious burns to his face and body. His ‘personal protective equipment’ (PPE) was inadequate and he was not properly supervised. The firm ended up in court and was fined.
Health and safety at work is an important issue that should not be overlooked by franchisees and their technicians.
Drain Doctor prides itself on its high standards of workmanship and customer service. Technicians always make sure that they are wearing adequate protection including suitable overalls, head-gear and eye protection. When using chemicals technicians will ensure that they are suitable for the job in hand.
If you are using chemicals yourself as a householder, you should take similar precautions – and always read the instructions.
Some blockages can’t be shifted using chemicals and mechanical unblocking using an auger may be necessary, particularly if the blockage is a long distance from the plug hole or drain opening. Be aware that if someone else has already tried to shift the blockage, the water trapped in the drain may contain chemicals – so take care!
If you are in any doubt about the suitability of chemicals then don’t use them.
- Drain unblocker Drain Doctor encourages aspiring young chefs (draindoctor.wordpress.com)
- Firm fined after worker suffers horrific acid burns while unblocking sink (menmedia.co.uk)
- Seek and you shall find – drain unblocker finds lost ring (draindoctor.wordpress.com)
- More drain unblocking tips (draindoctor.wordpress.com)