Monthly Archives: December 2013

Home and business owners get flood warning

Drain Doctor CCTV inspection

Drain Doctor carries out CCTV drain surveys and uses a number of techniques to clear blockages

Homeowners and businesses have received a winter flood warning from the UK’s largest combined plumbing and drainage business. Companies could face massive disruption over the coming months if they don’t take steps to prevent flooding now.

Drain Doctor Plumbing Ltd ( is urging homeowners and business people to make sure drains are free of blockages. This will help to minimise the risk of flooding as we head towards the two months of the year (January and February) which the Meteorological Office says usually combine the highest rainfall of the year with the lowest temperatures. A thaw after heavy snowfall, if combined with rain which helps to melt the ice, can lead to huge amounts of water being released into drains.

Preliminary weather forecasts ( for January and February are for colder than average months with more frequent snowfall than in recent years.

According to recent figures from the Association of British Insurers 47,000 UK bus

inesses were hit by flooding in 2012 and total flooding claims with insurers for households and businesses exceeded £1.1 billion. However, a simple CCTV drain survey can help to identify any blockages or potential problems.

Drain Doctor Plumbing chairman Freddie Mitman said: “Many people think flooding is something that won’t happen to them but the risk is there. Being unprepared simply means the chance of an incident increases.

“Although insurance policies can cover damage to property, damage to businesses in terms of lost working hours and even lost clients is often not covered. This is why it is vitally important for businesses to take the time now to make sure their drains are clear of any blockages and are in good working order.”

As well as a CCTV drain survey, there are a number of other measures businesses can take to protect their property. This includes taking advice from a specialist flood surveyor, fitting water resistant doors and window frames or speaking with specialist organisations such as the Environment Agency or the Flood Protection Association.


1 Comment

Filed under Uncategorized