According to this article a recent survey revealed some peculiar items found down drains. They included traffic cones, engine parts, guns and ammunition, bales of cocaine and false teeth. Obviously a bit of a rough neighbourhood.
But it’s simple household items such as baby wipes, cooking oil, potato peelings and paint that careless householders are throwing down the drain along with £87 million – the cost of unblocking them – the survey says.
Drain Doctor Plumbing and Drainage has some handy precautions that you can take to help keep your home’s plumbing in good working order and save some cash in the process:
- Throw food scraps in the bin and put left over vegetable matter like potato peelings in the compost pile.
- Avoid pouring grease down the drain, because grease hardens when it’s in your pipes and can cause a blockage over time.
- Wipe off greasy plates and pans with a paper towel before washing them.
- Remove small objects from the top of your toilet tank that could fall in causing it to block up.
- Make sure you throw paper towels, napkins, wet wipes or facial tissue in the bin, don’t flush them down the toilet.
- And if you’re expecting a police raid, find somewhere other than the toilet to hide your stash of drugs!
These tips will help keep your plumbing in good working condition. However, if you are unlucky enough to have a plumbing emergency, Drain Doctor is always on call, and there’s never an overtime or call-out charge.